Monday, March 25, 2024

EDITING AND TITLE CHOICE

With only three clips in my entire film opening, there wasn't much editing to do involving cuts and trimming.


Much of the editing came from the sound. I really wanted to make sure the chorus sounded good during the auditorium segment of the piece. I feel like the combination of their voices, if done well, could really enhance the tense tone. I did different things in order to enhance the 4-person performance such as:
  • Requiring a metronome at 110 BPM playing either on stage or in someone's ear so that the chorus would stay on beat. The conductor's hand wasn't enough. 
  • Filming the opening with live vocals, but also recording a voice memo of everyone singing the song. This could be placed on top of any part of the film needing more power from the chorus.
  • Leveling the vocals so that when the harmonies of the song comes in, all of the actors are blended.
There was minimal sound editing needed for the classroom portion. The room was enclosed and there was minimal background noise to cover. The students were supposed to sound bad, and they did. 


The film's credits were placed right at the beginning of the opening. I structured the frame so that the text could appear on the white wall to the right. I wasn't ready to name the movie until after I filmed everything. While editing the clips together and seeing the atmosphere come to life, I decided to name it The Broken Score. 

For the beginning credits, I timed it so that each credit showed up on beat with the music. Everything flowed together very nicely I think. In my "𝚏𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚒𝚖𝚙𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚝" blog post, I researched the impact that different fonts can make towards the tone and atmosphere. I was leaning towards using Garamond, but during the editing process, I tried out a font called Caviar Dreams. It was slightly wonky, but still very serious. It has quirky "e" vowels and disproportionate consonants, but still maintained the perks of Garamond. I thought it represented the film very well with it's irregular feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection